The Presidency on Monday denied reports that President Muhammadu Buhari was attacked by members of the Indigenous People of Biafra in Japan.
Buhari is currently attending the Tokyo International Conference on African Development alongside other leaders from around the world.
In a statement by the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the President, Femi Adesina, the Presidency said that news of such attack on Buhari were false.
The statement said, “The proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra group has had nothing to do with President Muhammadu Buhari since he arrived Yokohama, Japan, on Monday.
“Nigerians at home and in the Diaspora are urged to disregard concocted stories backed with spurious visuals of any protest or harassment of the President and his team.
“It is the stock-in-trade of hate mongers, who do not realise that the rest of Nigerians have left them far behind.
“President Buhari will make his presence at the Seventh Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD7) count for Nigeria, and no scare-mongering or sabre-rattling will detract from the outing.”
Leader of IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, had earlier said that members of the group in Japan had received orders from him to disgrace and arrest President Buhari upon his arrival in the Asian country.
According to him, Buhari must “answer for his alleged mass murder and crimes against humanity, which he allegedly committed in Nigeria between 2015 and 2019”.